Skip to main content

Fuzzy Little Feelings

That's what I'm full of. I've got several big posts that have been floating around in my head, and I put them off because I want to word them just right, have all sorts of quotes and information to back up my fuzzy little thoughts, but If I keep putting it off, it won't happen. So here it goes anyway.

First, you'll remember my post on motherhood recently. And many of you responded. And every one of you touched me. I knew that everyone feels under appreciated and under paid. I knew no one likes to get puked on, and I knew most of us would rather do something for ourselves than spend all day doing dishes and laundry, only to start all over again. Thanks for the reminders that not only does NO ONE love every minute of being a mom, but it's okay.
So between the blog, and responses, reading and studying, and praying, I really feel like I am starting to notice a difference in how I feel about my kids, my duties, and how I react to my kids. I have not only spent more time playing with them, but I have been a little less grumpy about my time going to them. Balance has become my key word. I have been less angry, and tried really hard to ENJOY them. I really feel like THIS is my trial - not to ENDURE motherhood, but to ENJOY it. Might as well get going on that now. The time will come when I'll have plenty of time and money for myself, and in the meantime it won't kill my kids to spend a few hours with a babysitter while I do something relaxing for ME. To young teenage girls, it's still a treat to wrastle the kiddos into bed. I am not a bad mom, neglecting my duties because I go to a movie with the girls now and then.

So while I am researching, studying, pondering and praying I start thinking about  my kids, what they need. What our family needs. What our goals are. How we can reach those goals. And I came to a CRAZY conclusion. A insane solution. You are going to choke. Swallow before you read on.


I felt like what we really need to do is Homeschool. Yup, you heard me. The woman who doesn't enjoy spending time with her little kids.

So why, you ask? This is one of the places I wanted to have gathered quotes, thoughts and info. And I should throw out there, as some may not know, that I was homeschooled for years, so YES, I know what I am getting myself into. But basically it comes down to the fact that Andrew and I agreed that our main goals are to have a close knit eternal family, with family members that have strong testimonies, love learning and know HOW to learn. Sending our children to school doesn't help towards any of those goals. Teaching them at home directly influences all of them. Andrew is home 4 days a week, and can be very involved. We are both highly educated, love our kids and can give them more attention than anyone else. I know from experience that the time spent together will bring us together in a way that nothing else can. We can spend time learning the important things, and won't have to waste time with unimportant things, or waiting for 20 other kids to catch up. The gospel teaches that home is for teaching children. We are just going to do it without the assistance of a public school.
I could go on, and will if you have questions, but basically we feel it is an answer to many prayers, and will benefit all of us. We'll start next school year, although probably early in the year than the public schools start.
That's what I have been spending all my time researching, making forms for and planning. we've been rearranging the basement to make a school room, choosing curriculum and finding resources. What an adventure.

So I am going to fight the fire by jumping into it. Will it kill me? Nah.

Comments

Alyson said…
Check out the book The Well Trained Mind. It was phenomenal!
You go girl! I had an inkling that you would probably homeschool Nathan, with all the problems that you've been having with the school system.
Mandi said…
I love it, and can't wait to hear more of your adventures!
Amy said…
We have thought about taking that jump, but are still unsure about it. We know a lot of people who homeschool, and love it. Good luck, I'm sure you will be FABULOUS at it!