Skip to main content

The Big One - Family Vacation 2011

This trip had been planned for about a year. Andrew's sister(Sarah)'s daughter, Miranda, turned 8 and was baptized. Andrew's mom has access to condo's all over the place, so we stayed at the ones in St George. We absolutely LOVE staying in the condos, they are always so nice, and I love having a kitchen, and a washer and dryer (you'll see why in a moment).

Originally the plan had been that Andrew would go to work in Poky Thursday night, with the car loaded and ready to go, and the kids and I were going to catch a ride to Pocatello early in the morning to join him. Thursday it started snowing, The high temps for the day were supposed to be 54. It started at 37, then dropped to 34, and never got above that. By the time it was an hour before Andrew was supposed to leave, we had 3 inches of snow. So he called work and found that the needed someone to be On-Call anyway, so he got to stay home that night. Everything for the trip was done, so we went to bed early. By 5:30 we were both wide awake, so we check the road reports, which were fine, so we got the kids up and hit the road.

The trip down went SO smooth. Everyone was happy, there was no fighting or whining. Amazing. When we got there, we went to Sarah's inlaws house. They are a ranching family. First, we had dinner, with the billions of baby kittens. Em ate half of her hot dog and promptly puked all over herself. I was SO grateful we were outside! Apparently she gets carsick, but doesn't lose it till 1-3 hours after the trip. Which is good, right?

After eating we all got to ride horses, and play on fourwheelers. The kids were in heaven. There was a pascal of kids of every age, and kittens, and dirt, and the horses, and fourwheelers. Great fun. Nate was a natural on the horse. Right before he got off, the horse spooked, and reared up. Nate just held on, and did great. My baby is a cowboy!

The next morning em puked right after breakfast, and the was the last we saw of puke. Thank heavens for that, and a washing machine. Midday we went to the baptism, and Miranda's birthday party. Sarah took everyone to a place called Jumping Jacks. You know those companies that rent the bounce houses and giant blow up climbing/slide things? This company decided to stop wasting money on having them sitting in a warehouse when they weren't rented out. So they put a pad on the floor of the warehouse, blew up the unrented equipment, and charge admission. Voila, extra income! Again, the kids were in heaven. Nate ran and ran, Em could do everything the bigger kids could. The bigger cousins helped the little ones, and everyone had a blast.

When we left Jumping Jacks at 5:30, Em fell asleep in the car. When we got back to the condo I put her on Mom's bed while we started dinner. After dinner (with Em still asleep) Andrew's mom, sister and I went out to do a little shopping. Of course my typical hormone change induced intestinal issues hit RIGHT THEN, and I missed half the shopping while I hung out in the bathroom. Yay for being a girl.

Got back at 9:30ish. Em was still asleep, so I took her and Nate upstairs to our condo. She kept sleeping. She finally woke up at 7:15 am, Sunday morning. Poor child has NEVER been THAT tired. We got up and went to church, and after church the boys went off for a little time to "appreciate God's creations". They took guns and targets, while they were at it. The girls stayed at the condo and took the kiddos swimming. The weather was awesome, and Grandma got water wings for the kids, which made a world of  difference. Nate has gone from being terrified, and hanging on my neck in the pool, to enjoying it, and Em has gone from drowning to surviving. She has NO fear of the water, and flings herself in, sinks, and when I pull her out, she sputters, and does it again. Good grief. So while the warning label says "not a life-saving device, it saved hers and mine.

Monday, we got up and loaded up. Andrew and I got roped into listening to the "here is why you HAVE TO buy into these condos" monologue, but it was okay because they gave us a $125 AmEx card for our time.

As soon as we were done with them, Andrew and I ran around the corner to the St George temple and did a session, which was nice for the obvious reasons, as well as the fact that a LOT of the interior of that temple is PINK. VERY good. Very very good. I also loved that the temple there is open on Mondays, at least for a little while in the morning. Monday is the day I always want to go to the temple, but they are closed on Monday's here.

We finally made it out of town around 2:30, and made it to the Mayan in SLC around 7:30. I loved the 80mph zones in southern Utah! The kids thought the Mayan was "okay". Good grief. That was an EXPENSIVE "okay" meal, especially when you consider that the grease/spice from the delicious food gave us all tummy trouble...

We got home at 1:30 am, Nate puked at 5:30, thank you carsickness/spicy&greasy food. (I had given Em Dramamine, so she did fine!) Tuesday we were worthless, and sat around the house doing nothing. Well, mostly. One big thing happened...stay tuned!!!

Over all, we had a GREAT time. But when I think about the fact that I have the pukingest kids in the universe, I think it will be a VERY long time before we attempt Disneyland....

Comments

You and your "stay tuned"....glad you guys had fun, and you probably would have to mucho-drug up to make it through Disneyland :)
~Jenni M.~ said…
I love hearing your stories! :) You're awesome! :)
Ah yes. Puke. *shrug* if its not the kids its me. HATE HATE HATE car sick.