Skip to main content

Summer's Out for the School Year!!!

I am very happy about that. NOT because I was dying for Nate to go to school, but because I HATE summer. Spring is nice, Fall is my favorite. I can even thrive in the winter. But I Can. Not. Handle. Summer. I hate yard work, I hate being hot. I hate it. Hate it. That is not too strong of a word here. At least three times this summer Nate barfed because he was too hot. Just one reason I HATE it.
And have you heard of SAD? Seasonal Affective Disorder? It's the one that makes you lay on the couch, dying from depression in the late winter when all you want to do is GET OUT IN THE SUN.
I get it in the Summer. I don't want to talk, I don't want to play, I just want to die, or at least celebrate my self pity by laying on the couch, possibly with ice cream. But maybe not. Getting up to get said ice cream might be too much.

So in comes slightly cooler weather, and I am seeing glimpses of the shell formerly known as Maren coming back out. If I didn't call you, or play with you, or return your calls this summer, I am very sorry. I have sufficiently beaten myself up for being a crappy friend. But good news! When YOU are dying on the couch this winter, I'm gonna feel GREAT and be ready to play.

So...What have we been doing?
We had a Family Reunion with my Dad's family in Utah. I don't see them a lot, so that was really nice.

A few weeks later we had a "family vacation" - we went and stayed at a condo in Utah, and did the zoo, and Temple Square, and This is the Place, and the big fancy new City Creek mall. The kids favorite part of the whole trip was the Disney Store at the mall. Can you imagine what they'd think if we scraped the money together and actually did Disneyland???

My Heather is having a BABY!!!! She's due in March, and I have had SUCH a hard time not talking about it until she was ready to talk. But I am so so so so so so so so so so happy for them.

Nate's in 3rd grade. His teacher is in our ward, (well for now... more on that later) and he's planning on having a really great year. On Wednesday he was supposed to have his first piano lesson of the school year, but on the way out the door he showed me that during the end of school, he had chewed on his CTR ring, ON HIS HAND, and clamped it down and bent it so much that we had to rush to the doctor to have it cut off and his finger checked. Andrew was very concerned, because he knew what COULD happen when a finger has had a tourniquet for 2 hours. But he's fine, just a little slice from where the ring cut into his finger. :S Gomer. I should have taken a picture, but I stink that way.

Em is SO sad she is NOT in school, but she know letters, numbers and sounds, and knows how to interact with kids, and behave in a classroom, so why spend $55/month on preschool?
She has struggled with her teeth. Too much dum-dum biting left her with some bad stuff, so (I think I already mentioned) she had to go have her teeth fixed in June (or something) at the hospital. Well, cut to her regularly scheduled cleaning, and one of the teeth that had had a root treatment and a crown put on didn't respond to the treatment, and it had abscessed. So this week it got pulled, and she got a spacer. She's milking it for all it's worth. This morning she wanted ice cream for breakfast, for her tooth.

Andrew is loving his job at the hospital, which I love. I just like him happy. We're having a hard time believing it's been over a year since he lost his job. So much has changed!

I am busy busy busy with wedding dresses, and sewing-for-pay. I will post some of my pictures pretty soon. It's been much better financially than I thought it would be, that's good. I've learned a lot, and done things I never thought I'd be able to do. I've also been working really hard at my menu planning/grocery shopping notebook. We stopped shopping at Walmart, I just hated it, hated the busyness, and the lack of good stock on the shelves, and the "People of Walmart"...so we started shopping at Fred Meyer, and I love it, plus I love earning the rewards points, but I have to be much more careful in my planning to keep it cost comparable. When I AM careful, it CAN be cheaper than Walmart. I like that.
OH, I also got my Ham Radio license last month. Go me!

The other really big thing happening is our Stake is completely realigning all ward boundaries this week. There are a lot of rumors, but we expect REALLY big changes, and I am VERY anxious to find out about them. To keep busy this weekend while we wait for the ward news, we are going to dinner with Andrew's family to celebrate Dad's birthday, and going grocery shopping, and helping my parents with some search dog stuff, and going to the temple for the first time in months, and our last Sunday with the wards this way, and then...Duh duh DUH...the boundary realignment meeting at 6pm Sunday. I'm not good at waiting...


Comments

Unknown said…
Thanks for reading Maren, At least there is 1 person! ;) THanks for your words of support, I thought it was supposed to get easier with the kids in school, it isn't :)I think it is awesome that you are sewing! When we come up next year I will have to have you make me a temple dress, I have such a big bust that nothing fits right!