I've held it in all day. Only my mom has heard my snark, and that's been because she's been feeding it to me too. But we're here in my safe place. If you don't like my opinions, go read another blog.
I. Hate. Mothers Day. I come by it honestly,learned it from my mom.
I've heard a lot of chatter.
"It's my favorite holiday"
"I feel so special on Mothers Day"
"My wife is an amazing mother to our 6 kids"
"My kids are perfect, and it's all because of my wife"
And I hate it.
It's just another day. Mom still has to cook and clean. The kids still fight, and beg for the chocolate you got at church. You build up this hype inside, thinking it's going to be a special day. People will be extra nice. You think maybe you'll have one less meal to cook, or a few less dishes to do. But somehow you end up with more. Your kids love and appreciate you EVERY day. Your husband appreciates you every day. If they aren't already telling you and helping you every day, they aren't going to on Mom's Day. And if they suddenly do, for one day, how disappointing is the next day going to be? You sit in church and hear people talk about how fulfilling motherhood is, how much joy comes from having children. And you cry, because all you really want is a good nights sleep, or to stay on top of the dishes for one day. And you suddenly realize all those people talking about fulfilling blah blah joy yadda yadda either have children grown and gone, or they are a man. They don't remember, or have never know momhood. Then you torture yourself with questions like "if my kids didn't turn out perfect, does that mean I, as a mother, failed?" OR "If I only was given 2 kids, am I less of a mother?"
This year I told myself no expectations, no disappointment. It pretty much worked. It was just another day. My only reminder was a Facebook feed full of gooshy schmoopy loving. Congrats. Glad you love your mom. I love mine every day, and I tell her when I call her EVERY MORNING. She's my best friend. EVERY DAY. And I'm a good mom, exactly what my kids need, EVERY DAY.
That's all. Oh, and I should mention...I feel the same way about Valentines Day.
I promise my next post will be all feel-good!
I. Hate. Mothers Day. I come by it honestly,learned it from my mom.
I've heard a lot of chatter.
"It's my favorite holiday"
"I feel so special on Mothers Day"
"My wife is an amazing mother to our 6 kids"
"My kids are perfect, and it's all because of my wife"
And I hate it.
It's just another day. Mom still has to cook and clean. The kids still fight, and beg for the chocolate you got at church. You build up this hype inside, thinking it's going to be a special day. People will be extra nice. You think maybe you'll have one less meal to cook, or a few less dishes to do. But somehow you end up with more. Your kids love and appreciate you EVERY day. Your husband appreciates you every day. If they aren't already telling you and helping you every day, they aren't going to on Mom's Day. And if they suddenly do, for one day, how disappointing is the next day going to be? You sit in church and hear people talk about how fulfilling motherhood is, how much joy comes from having children. And you cry, because all you really want is a good nights sleep, or to stay on top of the dishes for one day. And you suddenly realize all those people talking about fulfilling blah blah joy yadda yadda either have children grown and gone, or they are a man. They don't remember, or have never know momhood. Then you torture yourself with questions like "if my kids didn't turn out perfect, does that mean I, as a mother, failed?" OR "If I only was given 2 kids, am I less of a mother?"
This year I told myself no expectations, no disappointment. It pretty much worked. It was just another day. My only reminder was a Facebook feed full of gooshy schmoopy loving. Congrats. Glad you love your mom. I love mine every day, and I tell her when I call her EVERY MORNING. She's my best friend. EVERY DAY. And I'm a good mom, exactly what my kids need, EVERY DAY.
That's all. Oh, and I should mention...I feel the same way about Valentines Day.
I promise my next post will be all feel-good!
Comments