Skip to main content

The Tail of Isis




Well, here is our tail, I mean tale. Saturday we met and fell in love with a puppy at PetCo. Her name is Isis, she is a boxer mixed with something. She is the exact same age as Emmy. We brought her home and she had a hard time proving to us that she really was potty trained. Sunday we went to church, and left her in the bathroom. We came home to a poop encrusted bathroom, everything below the 4 foot mark was covered in poop. The cupboards, the counter, the sink, my hairbrush, the walls, the toilet, and so on. It took me an hour and a half to clean it. I was upset, but we figured we were the dumb ones for leaving her. As the day wore on though she continued to have a hard time with proving she is potty trained, not that she had accidents, but that we'd take her out to potty, stand in the icy wind for an eternity,bring her in, and she'd race for the carpet and do her business there. I started to get a little more upset. By night I knew it probably wasn't going to work, I wasn't ready to ignore my children to take care of a dog. In the morning (today) when I went to take my shower I gated her in the laundry room with two gates stacked on top of each other to make a 4'+ gate. (after taking her outside where she did pee) She literally started to ping off the walls and the washer and dryer, and the door. She wailed and screamed and barked. I raced to take my shower, and came out the same moment she had managed to find a way to leap over the 4'+ tall gate. Now keep ion mind this dog is shorter than knee -height. At this point I knew I couldn't do it so I spent the next 4 hours tracking down someone from the humane society to take her back. I feel bad doing that too her, she really was smart and cute and sweet, but I just am not emotionally or physically able to handle a dog with such emotional baggage. I'm now not sure I can handle a dog at all, now or maybe ever. It was sad to take her back, but a relief too. I did find out when I took her back, that there was a written and signed agreement that the humane society would NOT adopt her out to a home with small children and WOULD adopt her to a home that had another dog for companionship to her. And they ignored it and adopted her to us anyway. Lovely. So, it was a exciting and sad weekend, and I am glad it is over, and i can clean my carpets. Yikes.



Isis, good luck baby girl, we love you, but we are not the right family for you.

Comments