I was reminded of a very valuable lesson today. I want to share an experience that reminded me.
Last night I was feeling crazy and let Heather dye my hair dark brown. Tangent: For those who may not know, many posts refer to my "best friend" - Heather is my siamese twin. Okay, not quite, but she and I are the bestest friends ever, and even those words don't describe what she and I share. So in the future, when you read "best friend" or "Heather", put that picture in place. Ostriches, Lovie. Big, grinning ostriches.
Okay, back to the story. My hair is dark brown. So I get up and go to church, all abuzz with wondering who will notice, what the reaction will be. I make my way through the meetings, with several positive comments on my hair. The last meeting of the day was Relief Society, and as I start listening to the lesson, I realize that it is surely striking emotional chords in a sister across the room. The Spirit starts to nag and nudge, and finally I give in and stand up (in the very middle of the front row, in the very middle of the lesson, awkward moment), cross the room, sit down and throw my arms around her. Tears flow, and I sit with her for the rest of the lesson.
When I got home, there were MANY messages waiting for me on Facebook, thanking me for my example in Relief Society. More messages regarding that than compliments on my hair.
I didn't really think much of it. And I am not trying to toot my horn, Yelling "look at me I did something nice". Here is what really struck me:
My hair color, my hair cut, my clothes don't matter. People don't give a flying fart. What people notice is what we do, what matters is what we do. How we are striving to be like Christ. How we live the gospel of Jesus Christ. How often are we inspired by what others do and say? That's important. If we (and by that I especially mean I) could spend more time thinking about how we could serve others, and follow Christ, and inspire others to do the same, and spend less time worrying about what other people are thinking about our hair, how much better would this world be? How much better would we (and again I mean I) be?
Thank you friends, for reminding me of where my heart should be.
3 Nephi 13:19-20:
Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and thieves break through and steal; But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through and steal.
Comments