Garsh. I don't really know where to begin. You know that this is going to be a killer long post, right? My computer (laptop) has been unusable due to power cord issues. It's old, for a laptop. Like 5 years old. (At the beginning of paragraph 2 of this post, I've already lost power twice, and had to wait for it to restart. By the beginning of paragraph 4 I got sick of it and went and found Andrew's computer.) The laptop downstairs that serves as our "family desktop" is over 6 years old, and the sound card is nearly dead, and the whole thing runs like molasses in January. In a particularly cold year.
Andrew was unemployed, and that left us super busy with important things like eating copious amounts of ice cream while watching Man Vs Wild. He was completely unemployed, and we were feeling pretty hopeless until Halloween. He got offered an on-call job at Good Samaritan, a skilled nursing facility (nursing home) that he had worked at before going to Pocatello. He was so excited to leave Good Sam for the hospital environment, but I feel after all that, all the jobs he applied for (like 50?), all the effort, and he ended up right back where he was...It almost seems to ME like a message that that is where he belongs for now. It is a huge relief for him to be back to a 10 minute drive to work, instead of a 55 minute drive. The job, however, was only on-call, which meant after training he'd only work when they needed him, be it 1 day a month, one day a week, or more.
As one who believes in prayer, and God's plan, might expect, he then got offered a permanent full-time position RIGHT before all money (and hope) ran out, around the end of the first week of December.
The unemployed thing was really hard, and I really hope to do another post soon on what we learned, or at least how we coped.
About mid-October, when we started to panic about where our next house payment would come from, We decided that maybe I should start looking for a job too. I applied first at David's Bridal. They weren't even open yet, and I thought it would be fun to help brides pick their dresses. I also applied a handful of other places that sounded "fun" to work at. David's emailed me about an interview the DAY that I applied. I showed up at the interview, to discover a strange new thing called a "group interview". It was so bizarre. But about 5 minutes into the interview, it came out that I know how to sew.
"Are you applying for the alterations position then?" they asked me, in uber excited, not too hushed tones.
I think my answer was something along the lines of "uhh.....hebdub je bubberdubber"
They asked me nothing else the rest of the interview. At the end they told everyone that they'd let us know by the end of the week. That timeline passed, as did the next 3 or more weeks. I gave up and forgot about them. Then one day I randomly got an email from someone at David's Bridal asking when I could come in for my sew test. UH...
So I am now a working mom. I am an Alterations Specialist, which means I hem, take in, let out,and otherwise tweak bridal gowns and bridesmaid dresses to fit. It was really hard to be gone while we were in training before the store opened, I was there full time. But now I am down to 2 short shifts a week, and that feels pretty good. Well, it did until this last week or so. Suddenly the super-nice people that I work with and for have all started getting ... Hormonal? Grumpy. And nit-picky. And not terribly kind. And I am having a hard time. I don't really feel like I need to leave my kids and family, to go have people rip me apart, tell me about how horrible I am, especially when they don't have the correct information, or are just passing the buck. SO...I am now in the process of collecting customers for me to do custom sewing and alterations from home. I call my little business "Seams", and am working on a logo, Facebook page, website, and business cards.
Halloween was ok, the costumes turned out cute, the weather was awesome. Andrew made Em's Captain America costume, and I did Nate's Hulk costume. I have pictures. Well, I don't. I think my dad does. So this is a place for those when I find them...
Christmas was great, I don't have pictures of that. We worked our butts off and made a lot of gifts, including 8 denim lap quilts, 2 flannel and minkee quilts for nephews, and a beautiful chevron baby quilt for a dear friend. We spent some time with Andrew's family, and a LOT of time this year with my family, we even had a sleepover around the corner at Boppy and Grampy's house. Because I was working full time, in addition to Andrew working, we had a little extra monies, and so I got a "big" gift...I got a revolver, and will soon be getting my concealed weapons licence. Yup, me. I'll be packing heat. Don't mess with this family! There have been a LOT of heated gun conversations at our house, and at my parent's house recently. I'll spare you the details, for now...
Christmas was also nice because we were ALL healthy. This is the first week we've all been healthy since before Thanksgiving. We've done pinkeye, stomach bugs, colds, croup, influenza, you name it. And we're done, because I SAY WE ARE!!! Seriously. Oh, and the best part? Emmy got her stomach bug from her birthday party that she INSISTED we have at McDonalds. We are SO not doing that again. We are, however, having a birthday party for Nate this Wednesday...we (and his buddy Kurtis, who has a birthday right before his) are renting out the theater for a showing of Wreck-It Ralph, for all the boys in his second grade class. It is CRAZY affordable. $60 for 20 people, and everyone gets popcorn and a drink. No work, no clean-up...Sign me up!!!
Oh, and speaking of Nate and his birthday, this was the big one, 8 years old. Yesterday he was baptized (with Kurtis!) and confirmed a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I am super proud of him, but I feel a little old. It threw me into a new age bracket, I think. I have pictures...Well, Dad does. I'll get them!
On the subject of celebrations...A big one is coming in a few short weeks. Andrew and I are approaching our ten year anniversary this month. now THAT'S crazy. I've been married to Andrew for just over 1/3rd of my life.
Hmm...what else has been going on? My hair dryer shot a flame ball at my head, gave me a bald spot. In October I did a bunch of graphic design work for a friend, I really enjoyed it, but I think for anyone other than a friend, pumpkin cream cheese bars aren't payment enough! Oh, I won a giveaway too! But never got the prize, but I am too nice to email and hassle the nice blog lady about it. Hmm. I am pretty sure there is a ton more back-story to share, but it eludes me at this late hour.
Ah, my brain hurts. Lately I have felt a little like my head isn't connected...It's running so fast I can't get it to finish any one thought process. I need a brain dump. Lists. Naps?
Very soon I post again, yes? About goals. And some other stuff. I take requests. Is there anything you want to know about? Something big that happened that you remember, but I have forgotten? Want my opinion on something? Wanna play a game?
Andrew was unemployed, and that left us super busy with important things like eating copious amounts of ice cream while watching Man Vs Wild. He was completely unemployed, and we were feeling pretty hopeless until Halloween. He got offered an on-call job at Good Samaritan, a skilled nursing facility (nursing home) that he had worked at before going to Pocatello. He was so excited to leave Good Sam for the hospital environment, but I feel after all that, all the jobs he applied for (like 50?), all the effort, and he ended up right back where he was...It almost seems to ME like a message that that is where he belongs for now. It is a huge relief for him to be back to a 10 minute drive to work, instead of a 55 minute drive. The job, however, was only on-call, which meant after training he'd only work when they needed him, be it 1 day a month, one day a week, or more.
As one who believes in prayer, and God's plan, might expect, he then got offered a permanent full-time position RIGHT before all money (and hope) ran out, around the end of the first week of December.
The unemployed thing was really hard, and I really hope to do another post soon on what we learned, or at least how we coped.
About mid-October, when we started to panic about where our next house payment would come from, We decided that maybe I should start looking for a job too. I applied first at David's Bridal. They weren't even open yet, and I thought it would be fun to help brides pick their dresses. I also applied a handful of other places that sounded "fun" to work at. David's emailed me about an interview the DAY that I applied. I showed up at the interview, to discover a strange new thing called a "group interview". It was so bizarre. But about 5 minutes into the interview, it came out that I know how to sew.
"Are you applying for the alterations position then?" they asked me, in uber excited, not too hushed tones.
I think my answer was something along the lines of "uhh.....hebdub je bubberdubber"
They asked me nothing else the rest of the interview. At the end they told everyone that they'd let us know by the end of the week. That timeline passed, as did the next 3 or more weeks. I gave up and forgot about them. Then one day I randomly got an email from someone at David's Bridal asking when I could come in for my sew test. UH...
So I am now a working mom. I am an Alterations Specialist, which means I hem, take in, let out,and otherwise tweak bridal gowns and bridesmaid dresses to fit. It was really hard to be gone while we were in training before the store opened, I was there full time. But now I am down to 2 short shifts a week, and that feels pretty good. Well, it did until this last week or so. Suddenly the super-nice people that I work with and for have all started getting ... Hormonal? Grumpy. And nit-picky. And not terribly kind. And I am having a hard time. I don't really feel like I need to leave my kids and family, to go have people rip me apart, tell me about how horrible I am, especially when they don't have the correct information, or are just passing the buck. SO...I am now in the process of collecting customers for me to do custom sewing and alterations from home. I call my little business "Seams", and am working on a logo, Facebook page, website, and business cards.
Halloween was ok, the costumes turned out cute, the weather was awesome. Andrew made Em's Captain America costume, and I did Nate's Hulk costume. I have pictures. Well, I don't. I think my dad does. So this is a place for those when I find them...
Christmas was great, I don't have pictures of that. We worked our butts off and made a lot of gifts, including 8 denim lap quilts, 2 flannel and minkee quilts for nephews, and a beautiful chevron baby quilt for a dear friend. We spent some time with Andrew's family, and a LOT of time this year with my family, we even had a sleepover around the corner at Boppy and Grampy's house. Because I was working full time, in addition to Andrew working, we had a little extra monies, and so I got a "big" gift...I got a revolver, and will soon be getting my concealed weapons licence. Yup, me. I'll be packing heat. Don't mess with this family! There have been a LOT of heated gun conversations at our house, and at my parent's house recently. I'll spare you the details, for now...
Christmas was also nice because we were ALL healthy. This is the first week we've all been healthy since before Thanksgiving. We've done pinkeye, stomach bugs, colds, croup, influenza, you name it. And we're done, because I SAY WE ARE!!! Seriously. Oh, and the best part? Emmy got her stomach bug from her birthday party that she INSISTED we have at McDonalds. We are SO not doing that again. We are, however, having a birthday party for Nate this Wednesday...we (and his buddy Kurtis, who has a birthday right before his) are renting out the theater for a showing of Wreck-It Ralph, for all the boys in his second grade class. It is CRAZY affordable. $60 for 20 people, and everyone gets popcorn and a drink. No work, no clean-up...Sign me up!!!
Oh, and speaking of Nate and his birthday, this was the big one, 8 years old. Yesterday he was baptized (with Kurtis!) and confirmed a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I am super proud of him, but I feel a little old. It threw me into a new age bracket, I think. I have pictures...Well, Dad does. I'll get them!
On the subject of celebrations...A big one is coming in a few short weeks. Andrew and I are approaching our ten year anniversary this month. now THAT'S crazy. I've been married to Andrew for just over 1/3rd of my life.
Hmm...what else has been going on? My hair dryer shot a flame ball at my head, gave me a bald spot. In October I did a bunch of graphic design work for a friend, I really enjoyed it, but I think for anyone other than a friend, pumpkin cream cheese bars aren't payment enough! Oh, I won a giveaway too! But never got the prize, but I am too nice to email and hassle the nice blog lady about it. Hmm. I am pretty sure there is a ton more back-story to share, but it eludes me at this late hour.
Ah, my brain hurts. Lately I have felt a little like my head isn't connected...It's running so fast I can't get it to finish any one thought process. I need a brain dump. Lists. Naps?
Very soon I post again, yes? About goals. And some other stuff. I take requests. Is there anything you want to know about? Something big that happened that you remember, but I have forgotten? Want my opinion on something? Wanna play a game?
Comments