This last week has had wonderful weather. The sun has been shining and the temperature has been in the 70's. So Maren and I decided that we wanted to get some things done around the house that we have been planning for several weeks now. Last Friday, we went to Home Depot to get the rain gutters. We had first gone to Lowes and decided to get aluminum gutters, but we were going to have to use sealant and find a way to rivet the pieces together. We had some anxiety about it, but the vinyl gutters were going to be so expensive there that we felt like it was the only way that we could afford to put any gutters up at all. When we got to the Home Depot, we found that their vinyl gutters were going to cost more than the metal ones at Lowes, but only by about $30 and the vinyl had no glue or sealant to worry about trying to get just right. Maren and I decided that it was worth it just to not have to worry.
Yesterday, I had the day off of school and the weather was still great, We spent the day outside putting up the gutters and Maren decided to re-stain the front porch. It took us all of two hours to get the gutters up. The down spout took me a little bit of time just because I had to get some new elbow pieces. While I was off, Maren started re-staining the deck. Our next door neighbor stopped by with her son and while the ladies painted, the boys played. In the end, we all got nice sun burns.
This morning, Maren went back outside to finish staining the deck and I decided to put the ceiling fans up in the kids bedrooms. They went up easily and the front porch looks fantastic. Maren and I are so pumped. We were both worried that we were just going to be slow about all the work around the house, but we have been going strong.
Tomorrow, we have another guy come by to tell us how much he will change to prep our yard. Maren says that she is to the point that she doesn't care how much it is going to cost, she just wants it done. My thought is this, all of the appraisals are coming in at about $500-600. If this guy gives anything close to the same amount or more, I'm thinking about buying a tiller and doing it myself. It would allow me to do small portions when I want and I would own the tiller so I could till a garden spot when we decide to put one in. Though if we go with someone else doing it, it means that it would just be done and we wouldn't have to worry about it. Hmmm.......something to think about.
Yesterday, I had the day off of school and the weather was still great, We spent the day outside putting up the gutters and Maren decided to re-stain the front porch. It took us all of two hours to get the gutters up. The down spout took me a little bit of time just because I had to get some new elbow pieces. While I was off, Maren started re-staining the deck. Our next door neighbor stopped by with her son and while the ladies painted, the boys played. In the end, we all got nice sun burns.
This morning, Maren went back outside to finish staining the deck and I decided to put the ceiling fans up in the kids bedrooms. They went up easily and the front porch looks fantastic. Maren and I are so pumped. We were both worried that we were just going to be slow about all the work around the house, but we have been going strong.
Tomorrow, we have another guy come by to tell us how much he will change to prep our yard. Maren says that she is to the point that she doesn't care how much it is going to cost, she just wants it done. My thought is this, all of the appraisals are coming in at about $500-600. If this guy gives anything close to the same amount or more, I'm thinking about buying a tiller and doing it myself. It would allow me to do small portions when I want and I would own the tiller so I could till a garden spot when we decide to put one in. Though if we go with someone else doing it, it means that it would just be done and we wouldn't have to worry about it. Hmmm.......something to think about.
Comments