Skip to main content

Yard Work - Then and Now

We've accomplished a lot this year, and since the last time I posted yard pictures. In fact, these are the most recent ones I could find, and they were 2009:
Grass!!!!!!!
I don't think I have EVER posted pics of the backyard, or the fence, or the deck we built. So here we go, it's picture time, and I'll note what we've done done this year, and are still working on. Remember 2 years ago it was dirt and lots of weeds, with a little wood stoop on the back.
Here we go...

Our backyard from the corner of the fence. The backyard is pretty small, because most of our 1/3 acre is on the front/side, because we are a corner lot. You can see our deck that was 3x4, and is now 8x12. Last year we added railings. You can also see the black pergola over a stone patio we added, and you can see our two little square foot gardens. Over in the right back corner is an area that is currently weeds, but will be our firepit...


A better view of the stone patio and pergola, which has a  cover that drapes over the top, and adjusts to block the sun. Our patio furniture looks better with the cushions on too, but I had taken them off for the massive winds that day. You can also see my clothes line, and another glimpse of one of the garden boxes. They are 4x4, but can grow as much as...Well, I think it is like an 8x10 garden... You can also see how far we have gotten with the pebbles and weed up the side of the house, leading to the garage.

Andrew's Maples there are two on this side, they stay small, like 14' wide, so they'll about fill the area someday. you can't tell but the one we are looking at here is dead  on one side. Weird. You can also see that I have just (finally) started staining the fence. I figure at the rate I am going I'll have to work 6 days a week, an hour each day, for a month to get it done. Yay.

The view in the back from the door. That is one of our 3 Canadian Chokecherry trees. They are the only tree that has grown well for us. good thing they are pretty!


Changes in the front - The grass in in and starting to really thrive. The shrubs are growing like crazy. We took the railing off the deck this year because the whole dadgum deck is made of pine, and is rotting. So we will soon be doing one in pressure treated wood like the back. Maybe this fall, otherwise I'll stain this one for now, and we'll start next spring.

Better view of the deck - you may also be able to see we pulled out the bark, it was rotting from not getting enough sun, and put in weed paper and pebbles. Much better!!!

Here you can see where we originally wanted a island flower bed (island as in "in the sea of grass" not as in island flowers) but couldn't control the weeds and lost a few of the less hard shrubs out there, so we have started sodding over it, and planted some small pines. They also stay smaller so they won't take over the yard. Also, you can't see them well, but back on the side near the fence we have 5 fruit trees.

Another Chokecherry, my Purple Sandcherry shrubs, and rocks. Yes, with weed poking right through the weed paper.

Oh, and sad that you can't see it in any of these pics, but I repainted the front door. It's Glidden's Crisp Autumn Leaves. Yes Ma'am. I have an orange door.

So this year we still plan to:
Finish staining the fence
Do the fire pit area
Plant those shrubs around the pergola
Rebuild or stain and fix the front deck
And I am sure there's more on the list. It's never ending. And we think this spring we may be finishing the bedrooms and bathroom in the basement. Maybe. 
The best part is, my yard hasn't died from lack of watering (Did you notice, we do not have a sprinkler system like the rest of the world does), and I am not sick to death of summer yet, the way I normally am!!!

Comments