A lot of my blog is full of crap about my kids. I was telling a story to Heather last night, and suddenly realized I should document the ridiculous things I do as well. So here was my note worthy moment from Thursday:
Choir practice was drawing to a close for the night. We are only a few weeks away from our big spring concert. The theme of the concert is Wish Upon A Star, a tribute to Walt Disney. We have a lot of guest soloists performing with us (which we are all bummed about, because no one in the choir was given a chance to audition for solos this time, but that's a WHOLE different story). At this particular practice we had a guest present to critique us, but none of the soloists were there to practice with us. So the director asked for volunteers to sing the solo parts, just for this practice, for timing, and so on. Janna has been picking up the Mary Poppins solo whenever the soloist isn't there, and has been doing a great job with it.
So we go through the practice, and people pick up the solos as we go. Near the end there was one song with a solo left. No one volunteered right away to sing it. So I did.
Yup, me. The one that a mere 13 years ago couldn't carry a tune in a bucket, or the shower. The one who couldn't pick out a part, other than melody, to save her life.
So there I am with my hand in the air, volunteering. As I am standing up to face the choir, at the front of the room, I suddenly have four giant realizations.
1) I have NEVER before sang a solo in front of anyone, other than brief choral auditions, or my children.
2) This song is like 75% solo.
3) This song's solo consists of singing and scatting.
4)My pants are completely undone.
Okay, side note on #4: My pants are almost always undone. Any pants that dig into my gut when I sit down make me SICK. Very Literally. Even pants that are too big do it. Apparently it's genetic, my Grandpa had the same problem, and either undid his pants every time he sat down, or wore overalls.
There I am. Singing (and scatting) to a Jungle book medley. Scared that my pants are going to drop at any moment, but trying to sing on key, look comfortable, have fun, make up scat methods as I go, and not lose my pants.
And you know what? It turned out okay. I thought it wasn't too bad. A few of the notes were a little high, but other than not reaching them, I think I pretty much stayed on key, my pants did NOT fall off, and I was told that I should be a pro scatter. I wonder if they have an "American Idol" for scatters....
Choir practice was drawing to a close for the night. We are only a few weeks away from our big spring concert. The theme of the concert is Wish Upon A Star, a tribute to Walt Disney. We have a lot of guest soloists performing with us (which we are all bummed about, because no one in the choir was given a chance to audition for solos this time, but that's a WHOLE different story). At this particular practice we had a guest present to critique us, but none of the soloists were there to practice with us. So the director asked for volunteers to sing the solo parts, just for this practice, for timing, and so on. Janna has been picking up the Mary Poppins solo whenever the soloist isn't there, and has been doing a great job with it.
So we go through the practice, and people pick up the solos as we go. Near the end there was one song with a solo left. No one volunteered right away to sing it. So I did.
Yup, me. The one that a mere 13 years ago couldn't carry a tune in a bucket, or the shower. The one who couldn't pick out a part, other than melody, to save her life.
So there I am with my hand in the air, volunteering. As I am standing up to face the choir, at the front of the room, I suddenly have four giant realizations.
1) I have NEVER before sang a solo in front of anyone, other than brief choral auditions, or my children.
2) This song is like 75% solo.
3) This song's solo consists of singing and scatting.
4)My pants are completely undone.
Okay, side note on #4: My pants are almost always undone. Any pants that dig into my gut when I sit down make me SICK. Very Literally. Even pants that are too big do it. Apparently it's genetic, my Grandpa had the same problem, and either undid his pants every time he sat down, or wore overalls.
There I am. Singing (and scatting) to a Jungle book medley. Scared that my pants are going to drop at any moment, but trying to sing on key, look comfortable, have fun, make up scat methods as I go, and not lose my pants.
And you know what? It turned out okay. I thought it wasn't too bad. A few of the notes were a little high, but other than not reaching them, I think I pretty much stayed on key, my pants did NOT fall off, and I was told that I should be a pro scatter. I wonder if they have an "American Idol" for scatters....
Comments