Skip to main content

General Conference Thoughts Part 1

In the last year I have found a new joy, and great appreciation for General Conference. I tune in 100%, take notes, and learn a lot. I LOVE it. This session I didn't feel like I had any specific issues that I was searching for answers for. So I prayed that I'd hear what I needed to.



Did anyone notice that the first two talks covered the same subject? The subject that I talk about a lot, that I feel a HUGE array of feelings about, the subject that I gave a somewhat disastrous lesson on in February...
Children.

Do you know what I said at the beginning of Elder Packer's talk? "Oh, how nice. OOooo, and maybe this will be a second chance for me to teach it right. Or maybe they'll get someone else to teach this one...oh well. Better listen..." It was a good talk.

Then Sister Esplin began her talk. Do you know what I said several words into her talk?

"ARE YOU FLIPPIN' KIDDING ME?"

I thought it was a great talk, I liked that it wasn't just "children are wonderful", but it gave a game plan for teaching children.

I got a lot of notes from the other talks, but I loved Paul E Koelliker's talk, he talked about patterns, and desire, both sparked my attention. I loved Elder Oaks talk about the atonement and sacrifice. 

I REALLY loved Elder Holland's talk about the parable of the workers in the vinyard. LOVED it. I loved his three lessons:
1. Don't be jealous because good fortune comes to others, we don't suffer because extra has come to others. The race has never been against each other, it is agains sin.
2.Don't dwell on old issues. When the day is over, and the pay is handed to you, don't still be moaning something that happened at 9am. Let go.
3. The thing God must love the most about being God, is the thrill of being merciful, especially to those that don't expect it, or don't feel they deserve it..
He also said something like: His grace has nothing to do with what time you get there, just get there!

Elder Hales also mentioned "patterns" and "desires"...interesting....

I also loved Ulisses Soares' talk about how to "sow in the spirit", and Elder Cook's talk about "the music of faith", and I really loved Elder Scott's talk about revelation and the Holy Ghost.

Okay that's enough for now. More tomorrow. Can't wait!!! And I can't wait to find out which talks we'll be using for 4th Sunday Lessons!

Comments

cre8ivesky said…
I loved Elder Holland's as well! And found myself sobbing over the story of the family from Haiti at the end- wish I could capture and remember it all as well as you do! Really I'm just glad to hear more of it than not over the inattention of my boys :P I've often seen you highlighting what looks like the Conference Ensign- it's neat how you really absorb it all :)
~Jenni M.~ said…
Great summary! :) I also really enjoyed conference, and taking notes helps a TON! :) Thanks for your thoughts!