Skip to main content

Rush Decision Time - ACK!

I suddenly realized today that IF I don't want to homeschool next year, and IF I wanted Nate to go to a charter school, NOW is the time to decide, because the deadline on charter school lottery applications are in the 10-18 days.
I don't know that I don't want to homeschool, I mean some things have been great, but I am not as dedicated to rigidity as I would like to be. At times, weeks have gone by with little or no school being done. BUT, we are constantly able to tailor everything to Nate, and our schedules, and sickness...I really hate when a kid goes to school, trying to decide if they are sick enough to stay home, or worrying that they are going to be sick too many days, and that has been SO relaxing this year. So what if we get sick? It doesn't change anything. BUT Nate doesn't get a lot of time with other kids, and thinks it's okay to not do school, because he doesn't want to. BUT....Well, you see. There's good and bad, both ways.

There are now three charter schools in town, plus the online ones. I almost thought that was the way to go, but I feel like it would be too rigid and unpersonalized, and I wouldn't always be committed enough.

One charter school uses the Harbor method, which I know little about. I haven't been too impressed with the school, although it is "popular".
One uses Core Knowledge, which I do know about, and love. They believe that you start teaching with basic blocks right away, and build on them each year. History is taught early on, rather than just "social studies". I love that idea.
The last charter school is a Montessori school, which I hear great things about, but just don't know if that would be AMAZING for Nate, or a DISASTER. It is very hands on, and self-driven. If a student wants to sit and muse about things all day, they are allowed....They might discover the origin of the universe! You see how that could be so good and so bad?
The charter schools are several miles away, (#3 is about 30  minutes away) but do have buses. They also have uniforms (polo shirt variety)

Or, of course, there are the local public schools, which are...fine. Just not well suited to someone who isn't...average. And Nate is pretty....not average.
If I send him to school, I get a LOT of me time....But I also feel guilty, like I am being lazy, and like a total failure. He gets socialization, and fun things that I don't have the creativity or energy for. But I can give him the most personalized education EVER. As long as I stay disciplined, and keep him on task....

What do I do? I hate having to decide now. I had to do this last year too. That's when I decided Home School was right. But is it still? Gadzooks. I hate this. Any thoughts?

Comments

It doesn't hurt to send in the applications right?? Couldn't you decided later whether or not to send him? Doesn't hurt to be prepared, right?
Jamie said…
I agree! Send in the applications to cover all your bases and give yourself some more time to think about it.
Rose said…
Yes, send in your applications! You know how I feel about the school my kids go to. I love it there and I feel pretty involved with what they do... and because I get involved I don't feel too guilty... You are an amazing mom and I know you will make a good decision that suits your family! You will have to ask me about what Kurtis said when I asked him about school and if Nate came...it was sooo cute!